In Christian marriage, two people agree to share life, love and commitment in the sight of God, with the intention that their union shall be lifelong.
Can we get married at St Mary’s?
For many years, you could only get married at St Mary’s if you lived in the parish. Now, provided one of you can show a connection with the parish (see below), you may be married here. One of you needs to be able to show that:
- you were baptised at St Mary’s, or
- you were prepared for Confirmation at St Mary’s, or
- you have lived in the parish of Rickmansworth for at least six months*, or
- you have regularly worshipped at St Mary’s for at least six months, or
- since you were born, one of your parents has lived in the parish of Rickmansworth, or
- since you were born, one of your parents has regularly worshiped at St Mary’s for at least six months, or
- one of your parents or grandparents was married in the parish
If none of the above applies to you and St Mary’s holds a special significance for you, it may still be possible for you to be married at St Mary’s so please get in touch so that we can explore possibilities with you.
* If you do not know whether or not you live within the Parish boundary, please contact the Church Office or visit A Church Near You.
What if I’ve been married before?
It is the policy at St Mary’s sympathetically to consider the possibility of re-marriage following divorce. If you have any concerns about whether you can be married at St Mary’s, please contact the Vicar.
We’re getting married abroad but would like a church blessing
There is a service of prayer and dedication which is suitable for such events. It may also be appropriate following a civil marriage ceremony.
Preparing for your marriage
A marriage in church involves making promises of commitment to each other before God. We ask everyone who comes to be married at St Mary’s to think very carefully about what they are promising and strongly recommend they attend a one-day Marriage Preparation Course beforehand.
This course is led by our Marriage Preparation Team and takes place several times a year, usually on a Saturday (10:00am-16:00). It is followed at a later date by a meeting with the priest or minister who is to conduct the service.
Planning the ceremony
We look forward to planning your marriage ceremony with you. The Church of England has published a helpful guide to planning your wedding.
If you wish to enquire about the availability of a date for your marriage or other practical arrangements, please contact the Church Office. The Church Administrator will be able to confirm your eligibility to be married at St Mary’s and let you know if your chosen date is available.
The priest or minister who is to take the service will wish to meet you both before the ceremony.
There are many people at St Mary’s who are able to help you with planning and organising your special day. The Church Administrator will be able to give you more information.